How Do I Import References From Library Databases Into RefWorks?
These directions apply to the following database:
- American Chemical Society Journals
1. Conduct a search in ACS Publications.
2. Check the box to select your article.
3. Click on the Download Citations button above your results.
4. Select one of the following three options
- Citation for the content below – imports citations for selected items
- Citation and references for the content – imports citations for selected items and all references cited within the articles selected.
- Citation and abstract for the content below – imports citation plus abstracts of selected items.
6. Assign a file name that you will recognize and save the file on your computer's desktop (or in a location you will from which you will be able to retrieve it).
7. Log in to RefWorks.
8. From the References dropdown menu at the top left of your screen, select Import.
9. On the Import screen, change the Import Filter/Data Source field to ACS Publications and the Database to RIS Format.
10. Use the option to "Select Text File" and browse to find the file that you saved on your computer.
11. Click on the Import button to move the ACS citations into your RefWorks database. (You will see a "references imported" confirmation when your citations have successfully been transferred.)
12. Your imported references should appear in the Last Imported folder within RefWorks.
If you need any help, ask a librarian.